Friday, August 29, 2014

Year of Change Challenge AUGUST REVEAL {Styling Bookshelves}

This month the decorating gets going with the usual suspects (Life on Virginia StreetSuburban Bitches, and Rosa Beltran Design) and our uber talented guest designer Jade O’Connor! Her Southern style showcases her eye for mixing traditional with eclectic. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT SHE DOES WITH HER SHELVES! 

So, here we are! Hello, last weekend of August!
And as I mentioned, this month's challenge was to style a bookshelf. 
Styling Bookshelves?!!!

 This is one of my most favorite things to do in the decorating realm. 
I love books and I love stuff. 
What people have on their shelves and how those objects are displayed says a lot about you. (For instance, my dusty shelves may indicate that I don't clean often enough, jk). Sometimes the organizing and styling task can be overwhelming when you think about attaining a look that is clean, uncluttered and balanced. Especially if you are working with collections.

 I have several bookcases in my home (because I'm a book nerd), so the biggest part of the challenge for me was to decide which shelves I wanted to tackle. 
I decided to give my living room book shelf (an old, ugly, battered bookshelf that has been through 5 moves with us) the heave-ho and tackle a bit of a DIY IKEA HACK.
For details on my IKEA Bookshelf Hack head over here.

The room that I've been working in may look familiar to you. Back in February I shared my Idea Board for this teeny, tiny Living Room to be transformed into a LIBRARY READING ROOM.




Yup, that would be a Brass Etagere in the picture above.
So, now that you know the look I'm after...here is my 
HACKED AND STYLED 
Bookshelf! 




















Trust me, I have enough STUFF to fill up every inch of this shelving unit. But this is more a display etagere, so keeping things light, balanced and colorful was my goal. 

Be sure to check out Erin & Tricia's, Rosa's, Sarah's and our guest designer,  Jade's Shelf Styling magic!!!

This month's was a super fun challenge....but I seriously can't wait to share what we'll be working on and with whom we'll be collaborating with in Sept...
Monday I'll be announcing the Year of Change Challenge for September!




5 comments:

  1. I need serious help with my shelved! Everything turned out so cute--thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing Amy! And I've been wanting to try that IKEA hack for awhile...I just need an IKEA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. I love this piece and how it was styled. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete